Jason Chee Product EngineerDownload PDF
Jason CheeDownload PDF
Upright - Senior Software Engineer
- Collaborated closely with the product team to build and improve internal tools for cross-functional teams—such as sales, underwriters, and management—while adhering to Agile methodologies.
- Utilized tools closely tied with Ruby on Rails ecosystem, including Stimulus, Rails UJS, Sidekiq, Redis, and ActionCable, to develop real-time features.
- Successfully migrated 90% of the admin-facing pages, originally built in React, to Ruby on Rails view pages.
- Leveraged my knowledge of Heroku to help improve deployment pipeline for engineers and QA testers.
- Participated in company wide technology migration to extract services from the monolithic application to cloud- based micro services.
- Due to the absence of a dedicated designer in the company, I frequently designed and crafted user interfaces, web pages, and functionality from scratch—sometimes unplanned for or in the moment.
Ann Arbor T-Shirt Company - Ruby on Rails Developer
- Ruby on Rails developer building new software and maintaining existing software.
- Participated in meetings with business leaders to provide potential solutions for existing problems.
- Provided the CTO and cross-department managers with mockup screens to validate proof of concept. Once approved I would transform the designs into functional pages.
- Assisted with Ruby on Rails 5 to 6.1 upgrade and introduced team members to new libraries like ActiveStorage, Ruby on Rails Credentials, Webpacker, Stimulus, Hotwire, and Turbo.
- I designed, developed, and shipped an internal team collaboration tool for both quarterly and annual planning. By leveraging Amazon's Fulfillment API, I parsed historical data to determine the sales velocity of individual inventory items. The analysis aided the production and inventory team in restocking decisions. Additionally, it provided the product team with estimates on the quantities to be produced during various grace periods.
88pixels to-go - Software Engineer
- 88pixels to-go is a San Antonio-based business, formerly located in Hangzhou, China, offering tailored software solutions for startups, SMBs, and established corporations.
- Conducted technical and non-technical workshops to boost the local tech ecosystem in Shanghai.
- Conducted free public speaking workshops in San Antonio to help SMBs with technology pivot strategies and introduction to government contracting.
- Invited into Geekdomʼs 2021 incubator program. $40,000 in funding and an opportunity to innovate a civic technology solution for the City of San Antonio.
- At the moment, dormant and not soliciting new work.
Amazon Fulfillment Center - Fulfillment Associate (part-time)
Le Wagon - Coding Bootcamp Instructor (part-time)
Carat China (Dentsu) - Senior Insights Analyst
Sundance School - Technology Teacher/IT
Le Wagon - Shanghai, China
Full Stack Web Development
Shanghai Normal University - Shanghai, China
Mandarin Language Program
William Paterson University - Wayne, New Jersey
Bachelor of Arts and Sciences, Mass Communications
- signhow (volunteer se) - global sign language database (rails 7, heroku)
- babyshowerpower (deprecated) - design and email baby shower themed e-cards (rails 6.1, stimulus-reflex, dokku, sendgrid)
- spareleash (client work) - airbnb but for people who own pets or pet sit (rails 6.1, webpack, dokku, wechat pay api)
- homeslice pizza (client work) - kiosk raspberry pi solution to update large menu displays (rails 6, actioncable, dokku)
- English - fluent
- Mandarin - conversational
Areas of Expertise
- Keeping it simple and boring.
- Building user-facing features. I care about how the user will interact with the application.
- I like going from customer facing problem into ideation into potential solution then shipping out to production.
- I enjoy working in teams, pair programming and learning from others.
Writing and recording music, jiu jitsu, traveling, family. More about me here.